Orologico Forum 3.0

sicilio...dalla voce dei protagonisti...

Patrizio

• Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
    • MSN Messenger - patmonfa@hotmail.com
    • Mostra profilo
« il: Dicembre 02, 2008, 08:53:28 am »
copio ed incollo un'intervista interessante...

Immagine:

96,98 KB

I was fortunate enough to have a short chat with Mr. Karl-Friedrich Scheufele before he donated his precious unique piece of the L.U.C Tourbillon Tech Twist watch equipped with a silicon escapement the next day for the Singapore President’s Challenge F1 Charity Luncheon 26 Sept, 2008.

Thanks to Mr Maxime Labey (Managing Director, Chopard Asia) and Ms Charlotte Char (PR Manager) for arranging the meet up.

(For more information about the Singapore President's Challenge F1 Charity Luncheon, please  click here  )

KFS   : Mr. Karl-Friedrich Scheufele          PPro : Kong on behalf of PuristSPro

PPro :  Which institute does L.U.C  work with for the Silicium research and development?

KFS : Institut de Microtechnique at University of Neuchatel.

PPro :  Why Silicium?

KFS : For us, that's exactly the question I asked when our team talked to me about Silicium.  What could be another added value?

They came out with the idea of high frequency escapement.  There the added value is obvious.  That's really why we got into the Silicium development.

PPro :  Could you elaborate?

KFS : Not only the high frequency escapement wheel is good for any watch, the higher the frequency the easier it is to regulate which leads to more precise movements.  The only downside is the power reserve.
As most of our movements have long power reserve, we won't have a problem with that.

PPro :  Could we be expecting the pre-production soon?

KFS : We're experimenting now with the higher frequency escapement, and hopefully by end of next year, we would be ready to not only make the announcement, but also come out with the tested prototypes.  We're testing the prototypes now.

PPro : So they are already on the wrists of your Technical Team?

KFS : Yes, this is only the intermediate stage at the usual frequency of 28,800 vph.

PPro :  What are the components in Silicium?

KFS :  The escape wheel and lever.

PPro :  In term of reliability, what could you comment?

KFS : Frankly no, not one manufacturer can guarantee you reliability at this moment.  Seriously speaking, as it is relatively new so everyone is testing their movement for some time but there has not been a movement around which has been running for 10 years!  

However we have conducted all the tests that could be performed and the results were good.  It regulates better, it has the advantage of less friction and need no lubrification.  Basically it is only advantages.

One thing we were concerned about was the brittleness especially when a watch was dropped. We performed the Chronofiable Test*, there was no problem on that side.   Part of the reason is the Silicium escape wheel is lighter than current metal and less stress on the pivots.

PPro :  How long have you been wearing this L.U.C Tourbillon Tech Twist watch with a silicon escapement?

KFS : About 6 months since the Basel Fair 2008.

PPro : How was the L.U.C Tourbillon Tech Twist watch with a silicon escapement being tested?

KFS : Before I was wearing it, we tested the chronofiable and other things.  Every week, I've to give the watch back (to his team of engineers) and they ran tests for a day.   If it's ok, they return it to me.  It's an ongoing thing as I said the only way to test, like a car or so, is to drive or use it daily.  Till today there are still long term tests of cars where they performed test drives of ten thousands something kilometres and somebody is driving, driving, driving and driving ... no simulation is possible.

However what we did for our 10 Hertz High Frequency movement, we simulated much higher wear and tear, and it is still running perfectly well, which leads us to believe for long term it is a good solution.

PPro :   I remembered previously, you mentioned, after-sales-service is utmost important as L.U.C pieces are made to last and anyone who sent back pieces for repair after 30 years, parts could still be fabricated in the factories.
How would you handle Silicium parts then?
Does it go against tradition or your personal belief (in term of watchmaking)?

KFS : Using this material only justified if we actually improve something significant in the watch.
So I would tell you I wouldn't want to make wheels and bridges out of this material.  It is against my personal idea of building a movement.

The beautiful thing about the watch movement is the finishing.  I can't imagine unable to polish a piece of Silicium and apply Geneva stripes.  It is not attractive looking whichever way you turn it.
For us, using Silicium without any added value in term of technical improvement, I wouldn't touch it.

To answer your question after sales service, we will have enough parts in stock in order to plan for the long term after sales services.

However I don't want to get involved in producing the Silicium parts at the moment.

PPro : What's your plan if you are able to achieve 10 Hertz?

KFS : Theoretically building a chronograph with 10Hz opens a few doors.  You can have different indications, again readability is another question.  Whether it is useful, is the other question.
The usefulness of 10Hz is obvious, when comes to regularity, precision and also need not service often.

PPro : Why increase from existing 5 Hertz to 8 and 10 Hertz?

KFS : You know why we choose 10 (smile) we like the figure 10.
Frankly it would not make a difference from 8 to 10 Hz.  But should be higher than 5 Hz.
The faster it spins, the lesser it would be affected by external movement.  Basically that's the secret.

PPro : Will you be looking into Silicium hairspring?

KFS : The Silicium hairspring is coated and it is also quite expensive.  It is only for rather expensive pieces and cannot be used for larger quantity.
We have looked into it and it is interesting to use for special concept watch but the technology is not yet ready for bigger quantity.

PPro : It is always nice to chat with you.  Thank you for your time.

KFS :   Thank you.

* The Chronofiable test consists of various stages :
- an ageing cycle,
- test cycles designed to measure the pull-and-push forces on the stem,
- test cycles designed to measure the forces exerted on the pushbuttons (chronograph controls, correctors, etc.) turning bezel,
- tests on reactions to magnetic fields,
- shock-resistance tests using a heavy pendulum or striker, except for delicate complications,
- water resistance test

- Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum -

gidi_34

« Risposta #1 il: Dicembre 02, 2008, 09:17:21 am »
forse volevi dire silicio?[:D][:D][:D]

Patrizio

• Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
    • MSN Messenger - patmonfa@hotmail.com
    • Mostra profilo
« Risposta #2 il: Dicembre 02, 2008, 09:59:10 am »
si probabilmente...
- Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum -

fabri5.5

• Mostra profilo
« Risposta #3 il: Dicembre 02, 2008, 15:02:11 pm »
materiale del futuro?
ha me lascia un po'freddino,finchè c'è il resto del movimento da lubrificare non trovo grandi vantaggi.

gidi_34

« Risposta #4 il: Dicembre 02, 2008, 16:20:31 pm »
ma JLC non aveva brevettato un movimento senza neccessità di lubrificazione?